Partial Waivers of Training (Act 165 of 2012)
The Municipal Police Officers’ Education & Training Commission (Commission) considers requests from federal law enforcement officers and military police officers seeking a partial waiver of the training required for certification as a municipal police officer in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Approval of a partial waiver of basic municipal police officer training is determined on a case-by-case basis when the following eligibility criteria are met:
Federal Law Enforcement Officer – Any individual with documented proof of completion of one of the following law enforcement training programs and active service as a criminal investigator or uniformed police officer with federal arrest powers (excludes federal corrections functions):
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Uniformed Police Training Program (FLETC)
- Criminal Investigator Training Program (FLETC)
- Rural Police Training Program (FLETC)
Military Police Officer – Any individual with documented proof of completion of one of the following law enforcement training programs and active service as a military police officer, criminal investigator, or special agent in the United States Armed Services (excludes military corrections functions):
- United States Military Police School (Army Military Police)
- United States Military Police School (Army CID)
- Naval Technical Training Center (Navy Master at Arms)
- Air Force Security Forces Academy (USAF Security Forces)
- Air Force Special Investigations Academy (USAF OSI)
- Military Police Instructor Company (Marines Military Police)
- Maritime Law Enforcement Academy (Coast Guard MLEO)
Application: As part of a complete revision of the Act 120 Basic Municipal Police
Training Curriculum, the waiver process has been modified and now includes an
academic assessment to determine what training each eligible individual
requires. The first step in requesting a waiver is to complete
an application on the Commission's website using the Training and Certification System
Please follow the instructions at the bottom of the page to
apply for the assessment test. If you are eligible based on your law
enforcement training and experience, you will be approved to attend the
assessment test held at:
MPOETC, 8002 Bretz Dr, Harrisburg, PA 17112 (click for map and directions)
The results of the assessment test will be used to determine
what required training can be waived and what training will be required.
Once you have received the results of the assessment you will need to contact a
certified police academy to accomplish any required training, after which you
will be eligible to attempt the state-mandated certification examination.
Instructions for applying:
- Navigate to the Training and Certification System.
- Log in as a First Time User on the left side of the
screen. If TACS recognizes your information, you will be directed to log in with your existing
profile, also on the left side of the screen. Once you are logged in, select the Home Act 120 button and select the Certification Exam
Application. Scroll down to select “Start Application” under the Out-of-State
Certification Exam option.
- Select the “Federal/Military
Partial Waiver Assessment Test” as the
test/exam you wish to attend.
- Upload your proof of active service as a law enforcement
officer (SF-50 or DD-214) in the employment confirmation letter
section and a copy of your academy diploma in the appropriate
- Pay the one-time examination fee (this will be refunded
if you are not eligible for testing).
- Certify and Submit the application once you have completed
all requested information.