Partial Waivers of Training (Act 165 of 2012)
All applicants with approved partial waivers must be enrolled in a basic municipal police academy class that begins before December 31, 2017. Effective January 1, 2018 the basic police academy curriculum will change and previously granted partial waivers will no longer be applicable.
When a new partial waiver curriculum is approved this webpage will be updated with application instructions.
The Municipal Police Officers’ Education & Training Commission (“Commission”) considers requests from federal law enforcement officers and military police officers seeking a partial waiver of the training required for certification as a municipal police officer in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Approval of a partial waiver of basic municipal police officer training will be considered on a case-by-case basis when the following eligibility criteria are met:
Federal Law Enforcement Officer – Any individual who successfully completed one of the following law enforcement training programs and served at least two years of active service as a criminal investigator (GS-1811) or uniformed police officer with federal arrest powers (excludes federal corrections functions):
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Uniformed Police Training Program (FLETC)
- Criminal Investigator Training Program (FLETC)
- Rural Police Training Program (FLETC)
Military Police Officer – Any individual who successfully completed one of the following law enforcement training programs and served at least two years of active service as a military police officer, criminal investigator, or special agent in the United States Armed Services (excludes federal corrections functions):
- United States Military Police School (Army Military Police)
- United States Military Police School (Army CID)
- Naval Technical Training Center (Navy Master at Arms)
- Air Force Security Forces Academy (USAF Security Forces)
- Air Force Special Investigations Academy (USAF OSI)
- Military Police Instructor Company (Marines Military Police)
- Maritime Law Enforcement Academy (Coast Guard MLEO)
Application – Please complete an Application for Partial Waiver of Training and email it to email@example.com.
Documentation – Please include substantiating documents such as official transcripts, certificates, SF-50 (Federal Service), and DD-214 (Military Service) to verify training, qualification, and service. Applications submitted without sufficient substantiating documents will not be processed.
Notification – If a partial waiver of training is approved, you will receive an approval email authorizing you to enroll in a Commission-certified police academy. Contact the academy for further enrollment instructions.