BASIC CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course provides instructional training into crime scene investigation. Students will learn what physical evidence is, different types of physical evidence, Crime Scene Management, proper documentation and collection techniques, submission of evidence to the Regional Crime Laboratories, along with exercises related to courtroom testimony. Lecture, PowerPoint presentations, classroom demonstrations, along with participation in the mock crime scenes will be utilized.
This course is instructed by members of the Pennsylvania State Police, Bureau of Forensics Services.
INSTRUCTIONAL HOURS: 10 Days / 64 hours
INSTRUCTIONAL OBJECTIVES: Upon successful completion of the course the student will understand Crime Scene technology, physical evidence collection, criminal identification, and will be able to manage a Crime Scene and properly document, collect and submit evidence to the Crime Laboratory for analysis.
After completion, the student will be able to:
• Crime Scene Management
• Importance of Physical Evidence
• Pennsylvania State Police Crime Laboratory System
• Legal Aspects of Physical Evidence in Court
• Trace Evidence (Crime Laboratory)
• Computer Crime Evidence (Computer Crimes Unit)
• Questioned Documents (Crime Laboratory)
• Firearm and Tool Marking Evidence (Crime Laboratory)
• Serology /DNA and Blood Collection via Practicum (Crime Laboratory)
• Blood Stain Pattern Analysis (Crime Laboratory)
• Friction Ridge Skin with Latent Print development techniques (Crime Laboratory)
• Shoe /Tire Track and casting techniques (Crime Laboratory)
• Forensic Pathology, Role of the Coroner, differences between cause and manner of death / Morgue (Dauphin County Coroner)
• Hazardous Device and Explosives (HDES)
• Crime Scene Processing
• Criminal Investigation Assessment (CIA Unit / PSP Criminal Investigation Division)
• Members Assistance Program (MAP Unit)
• Presentations of crime scene processing
AUDIENCE: PSP Enlisted; MP
PREREQUISITE(S): Crime Scene Photography or equivalent PSP approved training.
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 64 - CLEE ID# CLEE00555
Registration: Please register for the classes below using this form.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
<<<Back to Forensics
<<<Back to Main Training Page