BASIC CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION
Course Description: This course prepares the student for their transition from a traditional patrol unit function to an investigative position. From initial response to case prosecution, students will learn how to manage a wide variety of common criminal investigations. Emphasis is placed on crime scene management, investigative techniques and resources available to the criminal investigator, interview/interrogation and statement collection, and case preparation and testimony, all of which are essential to effective performance as a criminal investigator. Lecture, practical exercises and a final exam are used to ensure that each student acquires the critical knowledge, skill and abilities required of new a criminal investigator.
INSTRUCTIONAL HOURS: 5 Days / 40 Hours
INSTRUCTIONAL OBJECTIVES: At the end of this course of instruction, the students will be able to:
• Apply sound investigative practices, procedures and techniques
• Properly manage and document a crime scene
• Collect evidence in a way that ensures its admissibility in court proceedings
• Work more effectively with the prosecution team
• Identify available investigative resources within and outside of their agency
• Employ best practices for interviews/interrogations
• Apply time management skills to efficiently manage a caseload of a Criminal Investigator
AUDIENCE: PSP Enlisted, MP (Mandatory for all PSP Criminal Investigation Unit members)
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
|Not Offered at This Time||No|
<<<Back to Main Training Page