Course Description: This two-week course is designed to further investigate specific details concerning collision investigations with a heavy emphasis on mathematical calculations and vehicle dynamics. The theory of conservation of linear momentum will be further explored along with energy formulae. There is a heavy reliance upon the theories and formulae learned in the lower levels of the Pennsylvania State Police Collisions Investigation Courses. Other topics include: an introduction to pedestrian, motorcycle, and commercial vehicle collision investigation, occupant kinematics, and human factors as well as an introduction to the concepts of damage energy analysis. Students will also learn the skills necessary to testify as an expert in the field of collision reconstruction and write a collision reconstruction report.
- Students are required to bring a scientific calculator.
- Colored pencils to assist with the hands-on exercises.
- Students are also encouraged to bring a Blue-Blitz Traffic template.
- Graph paper.
- 360-degree protractor.
- Art (X-ACTO®) knife, if available.
Instructional Hours: 10 days / 80 hours
Instructional Objectives: After completion, the student will be able to:
- Define Newton's Laws of Motion.
- Apply the Conservation of Linear Momentum theory to collision investigations to determine vehicle speeds.
- Calculate the Principle Direction of Force and change in velocity for vehicles involved in collisions.
- Determine the direction of travel, initial contact, and position of vehicles on the roadway pre- and post-collision.
- Property convey and present their findings in a report format.
Prerequisite(s): Pennsylvania State Police Technical Collision Investigation - a copy of the certificate must accompany the application for enrollment in this course.
Audience: PSP Enlisted; MP
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 6 - CLEE ID#: CLE00519
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
|There are no items to show in this view of the "TrainingClasses" list.|
<<<Back to Main Training Page