Law Enforcement Officers Killed or Assaulted Program (LEOKA)
Course Description: This Officer Safety Awareness Program provided by the Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, provides information on the history and policy relating to law enforcement officers killed and assaulted (LEOKA) Program. Also provided are the in-depth analysis of two studies which were concluded in 1992 and 1997, and resulted in the publications “Killed In The Line Of Duty” and “In The Line Of Fire.” The objectives of these two studies were to identify elements in certain situations which lead to the ultimate felonious deaths and serious injuries of police officers. Demographic and behavioral descriptors for the victim officers and the offenders were developed and will be presented. The findings and resulting safety training issues will also be presented.
The emphasis of the presentation will be focused on the final companion study which was concluded in 2006, and resulted in a publication entitled “Violent Encounters.” This study examines 40 incidents where police officers survived life threatening attacks. Demographic and behavioral descriptors for the victim officers and the offenders were developed and will be presented. The findings and resulting issues will be presented.
The following topics will be covered in the curriculum:
• Officer/Offender Perceptions.
• Foot Pursuits.
• Facing Drawn Gun Scenarios.
• Handcuffing & Controlling Arrests.
• Accident Video – “Is Today Your Day?"
• Street Combat Veterans.
• Traffic Stops.
• Will To Win/Will To Survive.
• Conclusion: What Our Data Tells Us.
Instructional Hours: 1 Days / 8 Hours
Instructional Objectives: At the end of this course, participants should be able to:
1. Take a close look at why our nation’s law enforcement professionals are being killed feloniously, accidentally, and assaulted with an eye toward prevention.
2. To assist law enforcement managers, trainers and personnel in the identification of training issues for the purpose of preventing the deaths and/or serious injuries of law enforcement personnel.
Audience: MP; PSP Enlisted; LEO
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 8 - CLEE ID # CLE00707
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
|Not Offered at This Time||Lt. Scott Ohl, 717-533-9111 Extension 318, firstname.lastname@example.org ||No|
<<<Back to Main Training Page