police communications operator (PCO) basic training
Course Description: This course is mandatory for PCOs and for State Police Members, including limited-duty personnel, performing full-time desk and communication duties. Participants will be furnished knowledge and proper techniques in radio dispatching. Various basic police telecommunications requirements are covered. Successful completion of this course can result in certification by Associated Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO), Inc.
Instructional Hours: 8 Days/40 Hours
Instructional Objectives: After completion of this course, the student should have a better understanding of what is expected of them as a PCO. This course covers different modules that include information regarding:
1. Introduction to your new career, this section covers the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) organization; ethics and values; basic telecommunication
elements; and policies and procedures.
2. Interpersonal communications: Non-verbal communications; hearing and listening; customer service and quality assurance are covered.
3. Telephone Communication Techniques: Basic call processing; information gathering techniques; taking descriptive information; and handling
different caller types.
4. Telephone Technology: Private Branch Exchange (PBX) Systems; text to 9-1-1; using a Teletypewriter (TTY).
5. Telematics and Collision Notification Systems.
6. Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD).
7. Radio Techniques: such as initiating radio traffic; broadcast procedures; Emergency Button Activation (EBA); response unit safety.
8. Call classifications.
9. The National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS).
10. Liability Issues: This is an overview of civil liability law; discusses how following policy and procedure minimizes liability risks; and confidentiality.
11. Stress Management: teamwork and on the job issues; Members Assistance Program (MAP); and State Employees Assistance Program (SEAP).
Pre-Requisite(s): New Employee Orientation and PCO CAD
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
|Academy||5/7/2018 12:00 PM||5/25/2018 3:00 PM||Mrs. Kathy Korb-Dinges 717-533-9111 Extension 417 email@example.com||No|
|Academy||10/15/2018 12:00 PM||11/2/2018 3:00 PM||Mrs. Kathy Korb-Dinges, 717-533-9111, Extension 417, firstname.lastname@example.org||No|
<<<Back to Main Training Page