Prescription Drug Investigations/Drug Diversion
Course Description: The course is designed to educate Pennsylvania Law Enforcement on various methods used to divert medications from healthcare facilities such as pharmacies, hospitals and nursing homes. The course provides a step by step guide on practical investigation methods regarding patients, nurses, pharmacists and physicians. Additionally, the course identifies why individuals abuse prescription medications and the methods of administration into the body. Through a working knowledge of legal requirements of the Controlled Substance Act, HIPAA, Code of Federal Regulations and other applicable Pennsylvania statutes and regulations, the law enforcement professional can identify evidence that will assist in the successful prosecution of prescription drug cases. Each Course limited to 20 students.
INSTRUCTIONAL OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, the student will possess the knowledge and skill required to investigate and successfully prosecute individuals who illegally obtain prescription medications by forging/altering prescriptions, doctors shopping, thefts etc. The trainee will also learn skills to detect and investigate diversion in healthcare facilities.
After completion, the student will be able to:
1. Define drug diversion
2. Describe how the prescription pill epidemic fuels the heroin problem
3. List how and why individuals divert at pharmacies, hospitals or other healthcare facilities
4. Identify the relevant laws and charges regarding drug diversion
5. Identify the items required to be on a legal prescription.
6. List relevant C.F.R.’s regarding pharmacy dispensing and physician prescribing
7. List the required procedures and laws regarding Suboxone/Methadone Clinic Investigations
8. List the requirements in obtaining Prescription Drug Monitoring Reports
9. Demonstrate the investigative procedure regarding forged/altered prescription cases
10. Demonstrate various investigative techniques developing evidence in nurse cases
11. Demonstrate various investigative techniques developing evidence in physician cases
12. Construct a search warrant and criminal complaint for any prescription drug investigation
This course is co-sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. Instructors will be from the Pa OAG, Bureau of Narcotics Investigation and Drug Control.
Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130
For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page
|Not Offered at This Time||No|