Current Drug Trends
Course Description: This course is designed to provide patrol officers with current information regarding the interdiction of illicit drugs. Topics will include the three levels of police/citizen interaction, identifying criminal behaviors that indicate the trafficking of drugs, interdiction during street sales and traffic stops, developing reasonable suspicion/probable cause during the encounter, visual indicators of trafficking and common concealment areas in land-based vehicles, search with or without a warrant, identification of illicit drugs through visual and test kit verifications, and packaging methods of various drugs.
Instructional Hours: 1 Day/5 Hours
Instructional Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to engage in successful interdiction of illicit drugs through observation of criminal indicators, successful field interviews, and identifying current drug trends, and trafficking thereof.
After completion, the student will be able to:
- State the three levels of police/citizen interaction.
- List criminal behaviors that give rise to reasonable suspicion of drug trafficking.
- List visual indicators that may give rise to reasonable suspicion of trafficking.
- Conduct an effective roadside interview to develop reasonable suspicion.
- Identify when a warrant is needed or not needed.
- State the visual characteristics of various illicit street drugs.
- Identify current drug trafficking and consumption trends in their patrol area.
Course Completion Requirements: Attendance and successfully pass (70% or above) a written examination.
Audience: PSP Enlisted, MP
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
|Not Offered at This Time||SWTC Commanding Officer, 724-832-5250||No|