Legal & Technical Aspects/Wiretapping & Electronic Surveillance - Class A Certification
Course Description: The course is designed to educate Pennsylvania police officers on the legal and technical aspects of Class "A" consensual and nonconsensual intercepts and electronic surveillance. The course provides instruction on legal steps and approvals, documentation requirements, physical equipment use, monitoring systems, and related aspects of conducting investigations. This course is limited to Police Officers whose job function requires the knowledge and expertise of wiretap and electronic surveillance. This includes Criminal Investigators, Narcotics Officers, and Undercover Officers. Each course is limited to 16 students.
This course is co-sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. Instructors will be from the Pennsylvania State Police and Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General.
Instructional Hours: 5 Days/40 Hours
Instructional Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the student will possess the knowledge and skill required to conduct consensual and monitor nonconsensual intercepts. The trainee will also learn skills to prepare necessary documentation, obtain required approvals, and conduct interceptions. The officer will be certified in Class "A" wiretap.
After completion, the student will be able to:
- Understand and identify the proper steps necessary to conduct electronic surveillance.
- Understand 18 Pa.C.S. Chapter 57, Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance.
- Define legal terminology concerning electronic surveillance.
- Identify the types of investigations where electronic surveillance is appropriate.
- Prepare victims/witnesses in anticipation of a consensual interception.
- Prepare the proper documentation in order to conduct a consensual interception.
- Obtain approvals from appropriate authorities.
- Obtain equipment necessary to conduct interceptions.
- Conduct the actual interception.
- Understand legal ramifications involving both consensual and nonconsensual wiretaps.
Course Completion Requirements: Attendance and successfully pass (80% or above) a written examination.
Audience: PSP Enlisted, MP (Note: Enrollment into this class is conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police, Bureau of Emergency and Special Operations)
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 40
- CLEE ID # CLE00636
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form
SP 8-130. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the
Training Center Page.
|Not Offered at This Time||No|