Legal & Technical Aspects of Wiretapping & Electronic Surveillance - Class "B" Certification
Course Description: The course is designed to educate Pennsylvania police officers on the legal and technical aspects of Class "B" nonconsensual intercepts and electronic surveillance investigation. The course provides instruction on legal authority, documentation requirements, electronic surveillance equipment installation and use, technical administration of wiretap systems and related aspects of conducting technical investigations. This course is limited to Police Officers whose job function requires the knowledge and expertise for installing and conducting nonconsensual intercepts and other methods of electronic surveillance. This includes police officers assigned as agency technical investigators and commonwealth emergency response team members. Each Course limited to 12 students.
This course is co-sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. Instructors will be from the Pennsylvania State Police and Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General.
Instructional Hours: 10 Days/80 Hours
Instructional Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the student will possess the knowledge and skill necessary to procure, install and maintain intercept and electronic surveillance equipment. The trainee will also learn the legal authority required and technical skills associated with use of such equipment. The officer will be certified in Class "B" wiretap.
After completion, the student will be able to:
- Understand 18 Pa.C.S. Chapter 57, Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance.
- Define legal terminology concerning electronic surveillance.
- Understand legal requirements involving consensual and nonconsensual wiretaps.
- Identify the types of investigations where electronic surveillance is appropriate.
- Procure, install and maintain technical surveillance equipment.
- Assist other investigators with the execution of legal intercepts.
- Obtain approvals from appropriate authorities.
- Ascertain the technical specifications of the equipment necessary to conduct intercepts.
- Conduct routine and emergency nonconsensual intercepts.
Course Completion Requirements: Attendance and successfully pass (80% or above) a written examination.
Audience: PSP Enlisted, MP (Note: Enrollment into this class is conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police, Bureau of Emergency and Special Operations)
Prerequisite(s): Class "A" wiretap certification.
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 80
- CLEE ID # CLE00637
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form
SP 8-130. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the
Training Center Page.
|Not Offered at This Time||No|