Media Relations and the Public Information Officer (PIO) Function for Law Enforcement Agencies
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course is designed to educate Pennsylvania Law Enforcement in the different forums of media in order to properly release information to the public and how to develop and maintain a professional working relationship with local and national media outlets. A portion of this course will focus on release of information during high profile and critical events.
Instructional Hours: 3 Days / 24 Hours
Instructional Objectives: To provide Department members and other law enforcement officials an understanding of how to work with the media. This will be accomplished through classroom instruction and hands-on exercises.
After completion, the student will be able to:
- Introduce the role of Public Information Officer.
- Explain differences between print, broadcast and online media.
- Practice creating news releases and media alerts.
- Review best practices for interview preparation.
- Explain how to control an interview; introduce bridging language.
- Conduct mock interviews.
Audience: PSP Enlisted; PSP Employee; LEO; MP
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 24 - CLEE ID #:CLE00678
|Not Offered at This Time||Yes|