Navigating Crisis: It Starts With You
Course Description: This course is to provide PCOs an in-depth look at several mental health disorders, medications, and call taking strategies to handle crisis incidents. Group exercises and scenarios are designed to help the student to identify the disorder based on behaviors of the caller to enhance Officer safety. This course also includes a look into the dynamics of the suicidal caller and hostage incidents. Class participation IS required.
Instructional Hours: 1 Day/8 Hours
Instructional Objectives: After completion, the student will be able to:
- Have an in-depth familiarity with several mental health disorders.
- Be familiar with taking a call involving a mental health disorder and be able to identify the disorder to ensure Officer safety.
- Be informed on how to properly handle a suicidal caller and provide them with the aid required.
- Be familiar with call taking regarding hostage situations and gain the knowledge to handle the call.
- Participate in scenarios involving callers with mental health issues, suicidal subjects and hostage situations.
Course Completion Requirements: Attendance and successful completion of a 10-question knowledge check.
Audience: PCO; PSP PCO(class can be altered and conducted at requesting municipality/911 Center or Academy by request)
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
|Academy||2/19/2020 8:00 AM||2/19/2020 4:00 PM||Mrs. Kathy Korb-Dinges, 717-533-9111, Extension 417, email firstname.lastname@example.org||No|
|SETC||3/26/2020 8:00 AM||3/26/2020 4:00 PM||Mrs. Kathy Korb-Dinges, 717-533-9111, Extension 417, email email@example.com||No|
|SWTC||4/14/2020 8:00 AM||4/14/2020 4:00 PM||Mrs. Kathy Korb-Dinges, 717-533-9111, Extension 417, email firstname.lastname@example.org||No|
<<<Back to Main Training Page