Officer Water Survival
Course Description: This course is designed to introduce participants to the challenges of survival in the water while wearing full duty gear. Participants will be initially evaluated for swimming skills and then challenged with the task of being submerged in simulated full duty gear. Participants will be taught and practice skills to build stamina and reduce fear/anxiety of being in the water while on duty.
The course includes practical training in the following areas:
- Swimming (strokes and movements)
- Treading (multiple techniques for different situations)
- Flotation methods
- Removing duty gear and utilizing as a flotation device
- Lifesaving skills
- Dealing with a combative subject inside and near water
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD) use and techniques
- Controlling heat loss
- Extrication techniques
This course has been prepared by the Pennsylvania Game Commission, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, and Pennsylvania State Police.
Instructional Hours: 2 Days/16 Hours
Instructional Objectives: For participants to be confident in their ability to survive in water for a period of time while wearing full duty gear. Also, for participants to know their limitations in their patrol uniform and understand skills that can be used to survive while exerting as little energy as possible.
After completion, the student will be able to:
• show that they can proficiently swim and tread while wearing their full uniform and simulated duty gear.
• show they can swim and maneuver while wearing an inflatable and inherently buoyant flotation device.
• show proficiency in water disengagement and extrication techniques.
Audience: PSP; MP; LEO
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 16 - CLEE ID # CLE00774
Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130
. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page
|Academy||8/30/2018 8:00 AM||8/31/2018 4:00 PM||Cpl. Mark Dean, email@example.com 717-533-9111 Ext. 450||No|
|Academy||2/7/2019 8:00 AM||2/8/2019 4:00 PM||Cpl. Mark Dean, firstname.lastname@example.org, 717-533-9111 ext 450||No|