Prescription Drug Investigations / Drug Diversion - Advanced
(Nurses, Hospitals, LTC’s and Prescribers)
COURSE TITLE: Prescription Drug Investigations / Drug Diversion - Advanced (Nurses, Hospitals, LTC’s and Prescribers)
COURSE DESCRIPTION: The course is designed to educate intermediate to advanced Pennsylvania Law Enforcement investigators on various methods used to divert medications from healthcare facilities and how to conduct complex prescriber cases. The course provides a step by step guide on practical investigation methods regarding nurses and physicians. Additionally, the course identifies why healthcare professionals abuse prescription medications and the methods of administration into the body. Through a working knowledge of legal requirements of the Controlled Substance Act, HIPAA, Code of Federal Regulations and other applicable Pennsylvania statutes and regulations, the law enforcement professional can identify evidence that will assist in the successful prosecution of healthcare professionals such prescribers, nurses and pharmacists. Students will conduct practical scenarios of cases by receiving an initial complaint, decided what information they need, analyzing the data given and recommending criminal charges.
*Each Course limited to 40 students.
This course is co-sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. Instructors will be from the Pa OAG, Bureau of Narcotics Investigation and Drug Control.
INSTRUCTIONAL HOURS: 3 Days / 20 Hours
INSTRUCTIONAL OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course, the student will possess the knowledge and skill required to investigate and successfully prosecute individuals who illegally obtain prescription medications by theft and other means from hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare facilities.
After completion, the student will be able to: (continued from the basic course)
10. Define drug diversion
11. Describe statistical data regarding impaired professionals at healthcare facilities.
12. List how and why healthcare professionals become addicted and divert medications.
13. Identify the relevant laws and charges regarding drug diversion
14. Identify the items required to be on a legal prescription.
15. List the required procedures and laws regarding Suboxone/Methadone Clinic Investigations
16. List the requirements in obtaining Prescription Drug Monitoring Reports
17. Demonstrate various investigative techniques developing evidence in nurse cases
18. Demonstrate various investigative techniques developing evidence in physician cases
19. Construct a search warrant and criminal complaint for any prescription drug investigation
COURSE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS: Attendance and successful completion of 50 question test verified by signed roster and instructor.
AUDIENCE: PSP Enlisted; MP; LEO
PREREQUISITE(S): Prescription Drug Investigations / Drug Diversion – Basic course
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 20 - CLEE ID# CLE00581
Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130
. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page
|There are no items to show in this view of the "TrainingClasses2" list.|