Prescription Drug Investigations - Basic Drug Diversion Course
Course Description: The course is designed to educate Pennsylvania Law Enforcement on methods used to divert medications from pharmacies, hospitals and doctors. The course provides a guide for the basic investigator in what they would normally encounter during routine patrol. Additionally, the course identifies why individuals abuse prescription medications and the methods of administration into the body. Through a working knowledge of legal requirements of the Controlled Substance Act, HIPAA, Code of Federal Regulations and other applicable Pennsylvania statutes and regulations, the law enforcement professional can identify evidence that will assist in the successful prosecution of prescription drug cases. Students will attempt to identify forged and altered prescriptions and conduct practical exercises they may encounter during their normal duties. Each Course limited to 40 students.
This course is co-sponsored by the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. Instructors will be from the Pa OAG, Bureau of Narcotics Investigation and Drug Control.
Instructional Hours: 1 Day/7 Hours
Instructional Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the student will possess the knowledge and skill required to investigate and successfully prosecute individuals who illegally obtain prescription medications by forging/altering prescriptions, doctors shopping, thefts etc. The trainee will also learn skills to detect and investigate prescription pill rings.
After completion, the student will be able to:
- Define drug diversion.
- Describe how the prescription pill epidemic fuels the heroin problem.
- List how and why individuals divert controlled substances.
- Identify the relevant laws and charges regarding drug diversion.
- Identify the items required to be on a legal prescription.
- List relevant C.F.R.'s regarding pharmacy dispensing and physician prescribing.
- List the requirements in obtaining Prescription Drug Monitoring Reports.
- Demonstrate the investigative procedure regarding forged/altered prescription cases.
- Construct a search warrant and criminal complaint for any prescription drug investigation.
Course Completion Requirements: Attendance and successfully pass (75% or above) a 25-question written examination.
Audience: PSP Enlisted, MP, LEO, LCE
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 8 - CLEE ID#: CLE00909
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
|Not Offered at This Time||No|