Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) - Refresher Course
Course Description: This one-day course is intended as a review for all Patrol Troopers, Municipal Officers, and Law Enforcement Officers how to detect a DUI offender (i.e. all applicable and recent case laws, all applicable and recent validation studies, current DUI trends, etc.) and administering the NHTSA Standardized Field Sobriety Tests – Walk and Turn (WAT), One Leg Stand (OLS) and Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN). Also, included in this training is updated information on "drugged driving" and current trends.
Instructional Hours: 1 Day/8 Hours
Instructional Objectives: After completion, the student will be able to:
- Explain DUI detection and general deterrence for impaired driving
- Define the DUI/DWI problem by referencing NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts and validation studies
- Explain roles and responsibilities of a DRE and how this course supports the DEC Program
- List the Three Phases to a DUI Arrest
- Demonstrate each of the three evaluations in the SFST battery and explain each stage
- List all the clues for each SFST battery
- Explain and proficiently complete each step during the Participant Proficiency Examination – Standardized Field Sobriety Tests in accordance with NHTSA
- Complete the final written examination
Course Completion Requirements: Attendance and successfully pass (80% or above) a 20/25 question test required by NHTSA, as well as demonstrate/complete each SFST properly and in its entirety.
Audience: PSP Enlisted, MP, LEO
Prerequisite(s): Standardized Field Sobriety Test (SFST) - Practitioner Course. A copy of the prerequisite course certificate shall accompany the course application.
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 8 - CLEE ID # CLE01034
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
|NWTC||3/11/2020 9:00 AM||3/11/2020 1:00 PM||NWTC Commanding Officer, 814-332-6888||No|
|SWTC||3/18/2020 9:00 AM||3/18/2020 3:00 PM||SWTC Commanding Officer, 724-832-5350||No|