Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) - Practitioner Course
Course Description: This three-day course is intended to teach Patrol Troopers, Municipal Officers, and Law Enforcement Officers how to detect a DUI offender and to become trained and proficient in administering the NHTSA Standardized Field Sobriety Test. Walk and Turn (WAT), One Leg Stand (OLS), and Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN). Also, included in this training is an introduction to "Drugged Driving."
Instructional Hours: 3 Days/24 Hours
Instructional Objectives: After completion, the student will be able to:
- Explain DUI detection and general deterrence for impaired driving.
- Define the DUI/DWI problem by referencing NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts and validation studies.
- Define and describe impaired driving enforcement programs.
- Explain roles and responsibilities of a DRE and how this course supports the DEC Program.
- List the three phases of a DUI arrest.
- Demonstrate each of the three evaluations in the SFST battery and explain each stage.
- List all the clues for each SFST battery.
- Explain and proficiently complete each step during the Participant Proficiency Examination - Standardized Field Sobriety Tests in accordance with NHTSA.
- Explain processing the arresting subject and preparation for trial.
- Explain overcoming impaired driving defenses and legal issues.
Course Completion Requirements: Attendance and successfully pass (80% or above) a 20/25 question test required by NHTSA, as well as demonstrate/complete each SFST properly and in its entirety.
Audience: PSP Enlisted, MP, LEO
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 6 - CLEE ID# - CLE00542
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
|Other, See Notes||4/20/2020 8:00 AM||4/22/2020 4:00 PM||NETC Commanding Officer, 570-288-3659||Yes|
Maximum of 20 students
This class will be held at:
Troop F, Montoursville
899 Cherry Street