Tactical Patrol Operations
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course is being presented to train students on tactics, skills to safely conduct pursuits, and the use of force continuums during vehicle & foot pursuits. This course will provide information on techniques of pursuit driving, Precision Immobilization Technique (PIT), pursuit continuum, conducting foot pursuits, and considerations of apprehension. Students will participate in classroom lecture as well as hands-on drills and scenario-based training utilizing simunition. Emergency vehicle operations will be conducted in a portion of this course. Due to the physical nature of this training, students should evaluate their own fitness level prior to enrolling in this course. *Each course is limited to 12 officers.
This course is also being presented to train police communication operators (PCO) in the management of high stress vehicle and foot pursuit type situations. This course is intended to be a blended training incorporating officers and police communication operators. *Each course is limited to 6 PCO's.
- TDU/BDU pants.
- Uniform shirt.
- Department issued boots.
- Soft body armor.
- Issued duty belt.
- ASP baton.
- Taser (without live cartridges).
INSTRUCTIONAL HOURS: 3 Days/24 Hours
INSTRUCTIONAL OBJECTIVES: After completion, the officer and PCO will be able to:
- Conduct proper radio transmissions during pursuits
- Conduct safe vehicle precision immobilization technique tactics
- Identify when force should be applied, and the appropriate level of force based on the totality of circumstances
- Assess their environment for cover and concealment options
- Recognize and navigate the hazards of foot pursuits
- Be familiar with proper pursuit policies and procedures, and the PCOs role during the pursuit.
- Demonstrate proper documentation in the CAD for vehicle/foot pursuits.
- Demonstrate proper radio use, verbiage and echo procedure during a vehicle/foot pursuit.
- Effectively manage radio and resources during a pursuit.
- Have participated in several simulated vehicle/foot pursuit scenarios in a role as a PCO, properly integrating the CAD and radio during the scenario.
COURSE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS: To successfully complete this training, the student must attend all sessions and successfully demonstrate the skills taught in practical application of the PIT maneuver and all other practical exercises.
AUDIENCE: MP; PSP Enlisted; LEO; PCO; PSP PCO
MPOETC CLEE Hours: 24 - CLEE ID # CLE01013
Registration: Please register for the classes below using form SP 8-130. All applications must be received 7 days prior to the course start date.
Locations: For a list of all training centers and directions, please visit the Training Center Page.
<<<Back to Main Training Page