Begin Main Content Area

F.A.Q.  (Frequently Asked Questions)

What is MAP?
MAP is an abbreviation for “Member Assistance Program,” the program that helps and supports all personnel of the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) – enlisted and civilian – active and retired, and their dependents through a wide range of personal and work-related issues.
What can MAP do for me?
MAP exists for the sole purpose of helping you or your family attain and maintain good mental and emotional health.  Often in life, all a person really wants is for someone to listen to him or her.  Many times we find emotional relief when we “get things off our chest” by talking to someone who cares about us and will maintain our confidence and trust.  Your Peer Contact can be that someone.  While not a professional counselor, a Peer Contact is an impartial, caring listener.
On other occasions, consultation with a mental health professional might be more beneficial to the person needing assistance.  In these situations, the Peer Contact will refer you to an appropriate provider or facility.  Your mental health referrals are governed by your benefit package (Enlisted Benefits or Civilian Benefits).  MAP personnel can assist you at any time regarding your particular benefit program.  As with all other aspects of MAP, your decision to visit a mental health professional is kept in strict confidence by your Peer Contact.
What is a Peer Contact?
Peer Contacts are PSP personnel, just like you.  They work in your station/office/bureau, on your floor, or a part of your detachment.  You may talk to any Peer Contact anywhere in the Commonwealth, regardless of their location, position, rank, etc.  Peer Contacts volunteer their time 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help YOU.  Peer Contacts have received specialized training on human interaction skills to help you attain and maintain good mental and emotional health.   
What are the costs of the MAP services? Appointments and meetings with Peer Contacts are provided at no cost.
Who will know about my contact with MAP?
All contacts and information shared with MAP/Peer Contact is strictly confidential.  No notes are taken or documented in any form.  The fact that a Peer Contact session has taken place cannot and will not be revealed.
Confidentiality cannot be maintained if a person reveals:
    * A person poses a clear and present danger to him or herself;
    * A person poses a clear and present danger to others;
    * He or she has committed, confessed to, or revealed details of a serious crime; and where reporting is required by law (e.g. child abuse, domestic abuse, etc).

What are some of the issues in which MAP can help?
MAP Peer Contacts listen and refer approach can help you with a wide variety of issues such as work-related stress, alcohol and drug problems, anxiety, financial issues, depression, coping with grief and loss, marital issues, and gambling just to name a few.

How do I access the services provided through MAP?
You can access the services of MAP, any time day or night, by simply making a phone call via our toll free number, 1-877-709-7674, or by contacting the MAP Main Office or your local Regional Peer Coordinator.  A complete list of Peer Contacts can be found on the I-Net homepage, listing their phone numbers.